Monday 15 October 2012

Day 15: Smart Shopping - Start Early!




I know it's a little early to be thinking about Christmas shopping, heck, I'm normally a shopping-a-week-before-Christmas kind of person! This year, however, I don't have a whole lot of money for Christmas; so I figured I'd start early and try to find some good deals!

I realize that not everyone celebrates Christmas, but I think this idea applies to a lot more than the one holiday. It's just as important to keep your eyes open and be a smart shopper for every day household items! However, Christmas Shopping is my example, run with it?

Every year Christmas kind of sneaks up on me, and, while I know exactly who I'm going to be buying for every year, I never make a plan! This year had to be different; I really don't have the means to just roll with the punches this year!

I figured that I knew for sure that I was going to be buying for my Nieces and Nephews so when I saw that EVERY TOY at my local, get this, Super Market (did not previously even know they had toys) was on sale, we for sure had to check it out.

We literally found everything we were looking for! And for once I didn't feel like we just had to grab the cheapest toy that was in Toys-R-Us, on our one Christmas shopping trip. We didn't have to settle! Because realistically, I really didn't even need these presents yet, so if they didn't have what we were looking for we could just leave! No pressure. Fortunately? They had all the things we normally would have been looking for! They weren't odd brands, overly small gifts, or knock offs. They were the regular toys that our Nieces and Nephews recognized and would be really happy with, for far less than I expected to pay for them. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I in now way believe that Christmas should be a materialistic Holiday, and neither do my Nieces and Nephews; they would honestly be just as happy with the dinner, and getting to spend the day together. I just really love getting to get them a little something for them to open, and they are always so grateful! And they sure were a little something this year! Each gift came up to about $5!!! So, for all of the gifts that we bought so far we spent $30. This is truly a record for us. I have heard of people trying to scout out deals before, but I thought they were maybe getting a dollar off here and there. Apparently deals are out there! And I am now more willing that ever to go out and find them! I am a true believer. 

A quick note on how I am also using this idea in my every day life. This is probably pretty obvious to most people but, for example, if I am out of say dish soap, or shampoo, or paper towel? I don't go check if it's on sale. I don't need to! I already have some! And then when I run out, I need it ASAP, so I buy it for whatever it is selling for right then. I'm obviously going to run out of these every day household products at some point, so it's worth it to check and buy it when it's on sale, or when you have a coupon, so that you end up paying retail prices a lot less often. And bonus? When you run out of something, you have a back stock! It can be tricky sometimes, because even if toilet paper is on for $8 instead of $12, I might need that $8 for something else! But it's worth it to do it when you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment