Wednesday 3 October 2012

Day 3: Craft for the Sake of It!

Hey Guys! So basically I was thinking today about how crafting, for me anyway, has become sort of a means to create things for my home or to create something to sell. Either way, everything has a purpose, and it's always "productive". I decided to go back to crafting just for fun today, and actually wasted a good couple hours (VERY unlike me) to make something I've been wanting for a while.

I bought a travel mug a little while ago that was all black, and had a removable insert that you could decorate to have a custom travel mug. I bought it with the intent of making a ton of different inserts so I could really have fun with it and change it up all the time. I FINALLY got to making one, and I couldn't be happier with it.


So for starters I pulled out the black paper insert and sort of used it as a template. I cut out the cardstock and got to designing.


I took inspiration from a lot of the hand painted white ceramic mugs I've been seeing lately. I just love how some of them look like the string from a tea bag hanging out the side of the cup! I wasn't really sure if drawing on cardstock with a permanent marker would have the same look, but it was worth it to try.


I just love it! I proudly showed it to my sister who was over at the time, and she thought I should maybe add some color. Sounded like fun so I gave it a shot.

Coloring took a little lot longer than planned because I could not find any markers, and ended up using a green and red colored pen!


I'm so excited with how it turned out! I think the color really was worth it as it added to the charm. I'm so excited to use this cup now, even though it's the exact same cup I've been using for a while now! It can be really fun to re-vamp something you already have to make it fun again. I think I'm going to be making a LOT more inserts for this cup.

It was also really nice and kind of relaxing to just do a craft for fun. It really did make me feel kind of like a kid again. Back when doing something "productive" and "fun" were the same thing! Do you have any crafts or hobbies that you do just for fun? I think it's about time every body goes out and picks up a pack of construction paper and a box of crayons.


2 comments:

  1. Cute!! I love that the tea bag really looks like its coming out of the cup :) and that you can make many more! Crafting for the sake of it is always fun :) especially with Christmas coming up! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! =D I'm really happy with how it turned out. =) I think I'm for sure going to make a lot more. =) I already have so much paper crafting supplies!

    ReplyDelete